Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Do you Q?

All of us have moments of life that stick with us forever. They are sometimes profound (the day I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior), scary (I have to look away when the child-sniffer or the stretched-out men are on screen in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), or hilarious (Jenelle and I laughing in tears and gasping for breath for 30 minutes when I got magazine ink all over my face and didn't know it).

There is one moment that I would have to classify as idiotic or at best utterly trivial, yet it comes to mind every single morning as I'm getting ready for the day. I wrote briefly about it in a creative writing class, and I've included the rough blurb below since I think of it so often.



"Q-Tips"

Cotton swabs--the hidden bathroom accessory which everyone uses but no one talks about. They're usually hidden away in an opaque container or stuffed into a corner of the medicine chest. How odd is it then that many people get a strange satisfaction by using the soft-tipped stick, yet not one of them talks about it. A year ago one of my usually uncouth friends brought up the feeling of pleasure from cleaning one's ears--every person involved in the conversation reacted with an astonished exclamation of agreement. Since then I've had the amusing experience of asking other friends' opinions of ear cleaning. The results were shockingly similar and in favor of Q-tips, yet each person also recognized that no one ever talks about this issue. Perhaps it is the mental picture of someone walking about with a cotton swab protruding from their head. Maybe it is the less-than-tasteful content which adorns the used swabs. If this is the case, why are Kleenex so widely used and part of polite conversation regardless of their bodily use? Maybe it's just the lot in life of Q-tips to suffer in silence as an essential but silent bathroom occupant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home