Friday, October 27, 2006

my Father turned the page

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and comforting words. It's been a long couple of days, with such a varied assortment of events--
--speedy flights,
--touching songs on my mp3 player,
--hugs at the airport,
--more details about my dad's passing--it appears to have been quick. My mom found him in his computer chair, with no observable disturbance. We're assuming it was a heart attack but didn't feel the need for an autopsy and we're not sure if the medical examiner's results in a few weeks will be detailed or not.
--the blessing of close family--I'm so glad my mom, brothers, sisters (in-laws and all!) and I all share in the belief of Jesus Christ as our Savior. It's so wonderful to share in the same comfort.
--confirming funeral arrangements, picking out the casket, discussing flowers and shirt colors...my dad's favorite colors were blue and maroon/burgundy, so those will be prevalent.
--sharing stories, as memories come up
--missing his footsteps coming up the basement stairs
--counting out the usual number of dinner plates and having to put one back
--contacting everyone we can to let them know of his passing, and being reminded that he knew SO many people and reached out to so many every day. Even just trying to wrack our brains of who else to contact, his circle of ministry, service and friendship was so vast that we keep marveling and rejoicing in how many lives he's touched (although that doesn't help us with obscure last names, phone numbers or email addresses!)
--letting people know about reviewal and service times, and reading his obituary
--going through so many photo albums in order to put a slide show collage together (yes, this is my part of the preparations!). I'll see what I can do about maybe making it available online later. Here are two of my favorite with my daddy




And last (for now)... I kind of knew my dad wrote poetry. He would always write a poem for the Christmas cards that he and mom gave us kids, especially the last few years, and he'd write little poems for Valentine's Day or birthday cards for my mom. What I didn't know is that he was actually quite prolific, and he started out as an English major in college before he changed focus to the ministry. I hope to pull many of his poems together into a little booklet sometime down the road, but in the meantime some of us kids will be reading some at the service on Saturday. The one that touched my heart and I asked to read is as follows:

My Father Turned the Page
by Robert Lee Riley Sr.

"May I read to you," my father said
When I was but a child
And he held me close and read aloud
Of adventures bold and wild.

As the plot went on and I saw the page
And the pictures filled my gaze,
With widened eyes and interest peaked
He read as to amaze.

While I was pondering the tale
And wondering what would be,
My father kept the pace alive
And turned the page for me.

And from that tale and from those books
My young life's interests sown,
Until I reached the stage of life
That I read them on my own.

As the years went by and interests changed
Over every stage of life,
I still remember lessons learned
From blessings or from strife.

And now in later life I live
From day to passing day
My Father God is now in charge
And now He leads my way.

So 'mid the trials of life it seems
The lessons are the same
I find my Father cares for me,
And each tempest He can tame.

But when in comfort I recline
And think that I'm so large,
My Father turns the page for me
So I know that He's in charge.

I've learned a greater lesson still
No matter what life's stage.
He always knows what's best for me,
When my Father turns the page.

Now tests or joys may come my way
In each and every age,
But He still cares and does what's best,
When my Father turns the page.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon,
We are praying for you and your family. Praise the Lord that your dad is rejoicing with his Father today!
Chet & Jenni Goetz and family

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon,
You and your family our in our thoughts and prayers!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing poem! By an amazing father.
Lots of love and prayers to you.
Sara

10:35 PM  
Blogger Celeste said...

Ethan and I are so happy we got to see and talk to you at the Memorial service. We were so proud of you when you got up to read. I don't think I would have been able to. You are a strong woman.

Your father is truly a skilled poet and I believe he is writing even more beautiful poetry now that he will sing to our Lord.

Hugs! Celeste

10:22 AM  
Blogger klev said...

Shannon,
Thoughts and prayers have been often with you and your family the last few days, and will continue to be. Love all of you.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Tiffany Wagner said...

Shannon,
Thanks for taking the time and effort to put your thoughts into words. We're so glad for you Dad and would not wish him back here, but we will miss him. We can only imagine the grief at saying goodbye to him for now, but it is only that...for now. We look forward with you to seeing him again in Heaven.
Thank you to for sharing that poem online...it was a blessing to read through it again after hearing it at the memorial service.
Our prayers will continue to be with you and your mom and brothers and sister.
God bless you and may he give you all the "peace of God which passes all human comprehension" (Phil. 4:7)

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon,
Beautiful poem, from an amazing man of God. Thank you for sharing that with us. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home